When starting out on this project I had lots of ideas I wanted to try. At the beginning of this part I didn't feel like my concept was as strong as I'd like it to be, it was unclear and lacked a consistent flow. For this reason I set out a task to develop my primary images further. I've been inspired by luxury brands throughout this brief so I decided to experiment with luxury fabric choices and finishes including hand embroidery and embellishment. Doing this gave me ideas to create embellished shoulder pads and cuffs.
Completing research on the wider global context helped me to better understand what was going on around me and question what exactly I wanted to achieve with my collection. I found that many sustainable brands have a causal aesthetic to them. This research led me to make informed decisions towards creating a luxurious brand what is conscious to the worlds need to be kind to it. Throughout my research I also looked at traditional trades and how fabrics were made. I researched how fabric was produced before manufacturing machines were created, which allowed for fast-fashion to evolve and artisan trades die out. I also looked at how the evolution of polyester and other synthetic materials had taken over the fibre industry. The energy used to create these fibres had positives and negatives, but compared to cotton I struggled to differentiate between what was better, I found that they both had benefits in different ways. It was this research what helped me to decide on what fabric to use for my collection.
During this project however, my hand broke. This really interrupted my development stages and prevented me from doing a range of criteria required for this project. Because it was my right hand what broke (I'm right handed), I was unable to create mixed media fashion illustration experiments and I was unable to create any illustrations for my final collection. By doing illustration I feel I would have been able to develop my concept further and give a clear identity to what my collection is. Hand embroidery and embellishment was also impossible to do because of how intricate the process is. So everything that I had completed before my injury was all that I was able to produce. This was supposed to be the main selling point of my collection, what would make it fit in the luxurious market and give each piece its value. Other things I found impossible to do was develop a fusion line. The plan was to create a range of hand embellished chokers and bracelets to accessorise my outfits with. This really upset me as I was really excited about this part of the project.
What I have discovered is that in order to sew my collection I had to simplify all of my designs. So you will find throughout my sketchbook, all of my design ideas have no embellishments on them. It was hard doing this, especially because I really liked the designs I wanted to create. By doing this I think it has made my design choices inconsistent and I strongly believe for this reason, the quality of my work does not deserve to pass. I done all that I could for this project but for unforeseen circumstances I was unable to produce what I wanted to do or what was required. You will see that my blog has a much stronger presence, as I was able to type with one hand. Visuals aren't the best but the body of text is substantial.
The thing I found most difficult throughout this project was having to complete the work on my own. With the tutor going on maternity leave, the tutor who had originally understood my ideas and had helped me throughout, I felt like I had nobody to turn to for guidance and advice. Because after breaking my hand I was unable to do certain criteria's I just had to do what I could and hope for the best.
The thing I found most difficult throughout this project was having to complete the work on my own. With the tutor going on maternity leave, the tutor who had originally understood my ideas and had helped me throughout, I felt like I had nobody to turn to for guidance and advice. Because after breaking my hand I was unable to do certain criteria's I just had to do what I could and hope for the best.
Despite not being happy with the outcome of this project I have gained a lot of knowledge on the wider global context. This research has helped me grow as a designer and I now have a clear vision on the clothing I desire to make in the future.


0 comments:
Post a Comment