These first 2 pages in my sketchbook look at my primary research of my trip to Allerton Towers. The page on the left shows my favourite image taken, I like the perspective of the photo and its contrast between derelict rock with a sun-bright sky in the background. The page on the right shows more images and I have added some fabric to give a bit of texture. I have also traced the photo on the left using tracing paper and then placed on top. My reason for this is to start gaining patterns by overlapping. The way I drew the leaves on the tracing paper stood out to me so I recreated this using copper wire. This technique helps to lift the page and gives me my initial thoughts on materials to use.
I'm not sure the fabric sample works on this page, is it relevant? The idea behind adding this was to simply give fabric ideas at this early stage.
To improve this page I could add more samples like the copper wire leaves, or I could of developed this idea further using different materials such as charcoal or sewing the design onto fabric would of been a good idea.
See more of this primary research here.
On these 2 pages I have looked at my texture primary research. Like on the previous pages, I have placed my favourite image on the left as a focal point and then on the right I have added some photos and different textures, stuck down with masking tape.
To improve these pages I should have added more development of the photos with different materials. A good example would of been to scrunch up tin foil and then flatten it out, this would of developed the photo at the bottom. I then could have scanned this in and printed out onto acetate paper and overlapped it onto a different texture. By doing this I would have developed 2 photos and create a whole new texture.
These 2 pages focus on my water and sand primary research, they have more of a minimal finish compared to the previous 4 pages, but I have decided less is more effective in this case. I looked at 3 main focus points; colour, texture and some fabric samples. I taped down some fabrics to give initial ideas of the materials I'd like to use. The one on the left has an iridescent sheer to it which suits the sea perfectly and the one on the right has a permanent crinkle effect, again this is suitable for this theme as it would also be effective for my concrete textures.
How the water reflects and clashes on the sand made me think of sequins so I got some synthetic fabric, burnt it with a lighter to create ruffles like the sea and then I hand stitched in various beads in small areas to create reflection. This sample has been a success for my research and will be used throughout my design development stages.
I could of improved these pages by giving some background to the photos, by doing so would give the pages more depth and interest. I also could have added some of the beads on a string with the fabric sample to show before then adding to the sea fabric sample.
See more of this primary research here.
As you can see on these pages I have struggled to develop my primary research of the Greek mountains any further, hence why the left page is blank. Although this was unsuccessful it lead me onto do more primary research; a trip to Snowdonia, Wales. After looking at these photos, it helped me to understand what I was looking for, I needed to get up close and personal with the mountains, look the rock and its texture and to take the photos at different perspectives to create shape inspiration. This realisation is visible on the next 2 pages of my sketchbook.
See more of this primary research here.
I found my trip to Snowdonia, Wales really inspiring and this is proven on these 2 pages. I have looked at the mountains in great depth and after printing out the photos and adding them to these pages I then traced key details of the rock and created some great lines by doing so. I visualise pleats as a result of this and I'm already starting to visualise design ideas from this session.
On the left page you can see my use of copper wire to create a sharp angular mountain-like shape. This initial design idea later leads me on to frayed a-symetric hemlines and shape in garment design ideas.
These 2 pages show a great range of visuals including primary research, development, fabric samples and they are the pages I feel are the strongest within my whole sketchbook.
See more of this primary research here.
I have now begun my initial design developments from these pages onwards. I began by looking at one of the Snowdonia photos from a different perspective. I turned it upside down as it makes me visualise a cropped top, where the mountains cover the ribs and and go up to the diaphragm. I then recreated this with fabrics and then beneath I demonstrated a loose interpretation of a skirt idea. I used a photo of the sea to stimulate a light airy float-like feel. I then used some paper to visualise layers and then a tracing of the rock lines for distressed purposes. On the opposite page I gave ad design idea and then a fabric recreation. As stated previously these are initial design ideas, so they are only rough ideas at this time.
As I worked on these 2 pages the fabric on the left page began to fray. This is something which suits my vision so I decided to recreate that around the photos and to create a border on the second page. By doing so gives a more finished effect to these pages so therefore I think this has been a success.
See more on fraying here.
See more on fraying here.
To develop the frayed idea further I done another design idea, this time with a tiered layer effect down the dress with frayed hemlines. On the right page I then stuck down different thread samples, what I could use to give a frayed illusion without having to fray fabric for hours. My favourite is number 6 from the top.
On this page I decided to further develop the design ideas I have created so far. Unfortunately I didn't add any fabric samples to the left page as I had originally intended. I also should have defined this design with a fine-liner so it stands out on the page and some colour could also of improved this. For these reasons this has to be the weakest page in my sketchbook.
After looking at whats trending on WGSN.com for S/S17 I focused on key images and thought about how I could incorporate them into my design process. I looked at the skirt shape and most liked the flounce skirt silhouette. Pictured in my sketchbook is one by Marco De Vincenzo. The way it is a-symmetrical, has ruffled edges and the use of mesh I found to be really inspiring. I was also inspired by Rodarte's more feminine take on the silhouette. It is symmetrical and hosts a gathered piece of fabric across the front which I really like, but what inspires me the most on this skirt is its clever adaptation of petal embellishment. Finally pictured at the bottom right is a dress by ..., the dress itself does not appeal to me but rather now the different layers fabric fall remind me of my Snowdonia primary research and the line drawings I done of the mountains there. For this reason I traced over what stood out to me on the dress. I then placed it over one of my drapery photos to create a dipped hem design idea of a skirt.
The page on the right shows 6 design ideas I imagined after doing this session on the left page.
To enhance these 2 pages I could have added texture or pattern underneath the 6 design ideas, by doing so would have incorporated my primary research and would of become 6 design developments.
See more of whats trending on WGSN.com here:
As seen earlier in my sketchbook is my use of beads to create aquatic finishing touches. On the left page here is a drapery sample I done, beneath it is the mountain line drawing from Snowdonia and then below are hand embroidered beads bleeding up the lightweight fabric. This idea is designed to remind you how the sea creeps up your legs if you walk through the sea, the result is not neat and symmetric, it is natural and has no rules.
The page on the right shows more drapery samples I done. I got carried away here with design developments and didn't know how to present them. Despite it being rough I think it gives an honest interpretation of my thought process at the time.
The more I looked at this drapery idea the more I visualised a sleeveless jacket or a top. I quickly recorded this vision here in my sketchbook but then I struggled with how I could develop it. I couldn't think what fabrics would be suitable or how I could take this design further. Looking back I could have put the design on different skirts/trousers, to see how it sits best. I also think a sheer hand beaded mesh across the chest would be a great finishing touch to this design.
ANALYSIS
'Research is the spark that fires creativity.' - Mark Atkinson
Throughout the whole process of creating this sketchbook I often thought about this quote by Mark Atkinson, I constantly looked for inspiration and researched these channels to try and put my vision into a reality. Doing so digitally comes naturally and this is evident throughout my blog. Trying to put it to paper however, I find really challenging and hard work. These challenges overtook my creative process and got in the way of the end goal at times but putting my sketchbook into this blogpost has really helped me to recognise where I failed and what I was doing right. I have recorded these findings throughout each pages annotation and it has taught me to look at it in a different context at times when I'm having a creative block.
What I should have done to improve this sketchbook is fabric samples and manipulations. I really liked the effect I achieved on the synethetic material when I burnt it to create a distressed rippling effect and by adding beads gave it a glamorous finish. It's a shame I didn't carry out these techniques throughout the sketchbook because by doing so would have created a flow and a reason for why these techniques will be used on my final garments.
Pages I found to be my strongest within my sketchbook are the 2 pages of primary research on my trip up Mount. Snowdonia, Wales. These 2 pages give a clear process from primary research to design development and these developments are then seen throughout the rest of the sketchbook within my design ideas.
What I should have done to improve this sketchbook is fabric samples and manipulations. I really liked the effect I achieved on the synethetic material when I burnt it to create a distressed rippling effect and by adding beads gave it a glamorous finish. It's a shame I didn't carry out these techniques throughout the sketchbook because by doing so would have created a flow and a reason for why these techniques will be used on my final garments.
Pages I found to be my strongest within my sketchbook are the 2 pages of primary research on my trip up Mount. Snowdonia, Wales. These 2 pages give a clear process from primary research to design development and these developments are then seen throughout the rest of the sketchbook within my design ideas.

0 comments:
Post a Comment